In 1925, a group of eager and idealistic students founded the Notre Dame Lawyer. Its name was changed in 1982 to the Notre Dame Law Review, but all generations have remained committed to the original founders’ vision of a law review “synonymous with respect for law, and jealous of any unjust attacks upon it.” Today, the Law Review maintains its tradition of excellence, and its membership includes some of the most able and distinguished judges, professors, and practitioners in the country.
Entirely student edited, the Law Review offers its members an invaluable occasion for training in precise analysis of legal problems and in clear and cogent presentation of legal issues. In addition, the Review affords its members the opportunity to foster scholarly discourse within the legal community—a reverent but critical service “synonymous with respect for law.” The Law Review seeks to further enrich the discourse in the legal community, remaining mindful of the Catholic tradition of justice, a commitment prominently featured in each issue’s dedication to Our Lady, Mirror of Justice.
Each year, the Law Review publishes one volume, appearing in five separate issues between October and June. The Law Review contains articles and lectures by eminent members of the legal profession, timely symposia and conferences, and comments and notes by student-authors. One issue of each volume, “Federal Courts, Practice & Procedure,” represents a forum for exploring civil practice and procedure in the federal courts.
The following links provide further information about the history of Notre Dame Law Review: